Wednesday, June 9, 2010

2.05: First Impressions

(From research/ writings by SMSmith, 2000 AD)

It is interesting to note that many cattlemen were not initially impressed with Parisien. A few of these first impressions were recorded in the Simmental Country, August 1987 (reprinted from September 1980 issue) as follows:
Don Jensen laughs as he recalls, “I don’t remember the first time I saw Parisien, but I remember what I thought. The first thing that struck me was his color. On first glance, he looked like a Guernsey, but on looking at him close, you could see there was more to him. He really did look like a big slab sided ol’ calf though.” // … “Yes, I guess I was skeptical just like everybody else, until I saw those first calves. The year after the bull came in, I saw the calves and I couldn’t believe what I saw, so I went and got another fellow to see if he saw the same thing. Those calves were six inches taller, six inches longer and 100 pounds heavier than anything else and the proof was standing right there in front of you. That’s when I became a believer!” (pp. 37 & 44)

Rodney James: ... I must confess that I was not very impressed at the time with Parisien. As mentioned earlier, the Charolais breeders were importing extremely thick, muscular cattle and Parisien really didn’t fit that pattern. Believe me, there wasn’t a lot of interest in Simmental at the time. It is my understanding that a one half interest in Parisien could’ve been purchased for less than $5,000.00. (p. 24)

Wes Alm: ... After asking [a] neighbour what he thought of the new bull Parisien, I quote, he answered: “What the hell — we’ve had Black and White Holsteins for as long as I can remember. This one is red and white but he’s still a … Holstein.” (p. 50)

Doug Blair: In 1967 Travers and his Group Simmental Breeders Limited brought the bull Parisien to Canada and housed him at Prairie Breeders which was just starting at that time. I went to see Parisien in the summer of 1967 and concluded that he looked like a Guernsey bull as he was thin, narrow and not very “beef like” in my opinion. Travers and his Group however campaigned hard on the merits of the Simmental breed to introduce milk production as well as growth rate to North America. I recall that they were more successful in the USA than in Canada at the time. ... ( p. 106)
 
Creative Commons License
Early Years of Simmental in North America blog by SMSmith is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.